|
Title: |
CN 2665 |
Description: |
A CN train rolls down Byron Hill towards Fond du Lac at Hamilton. Hamilton was originally known as Ketcham Post Office, with a post office and a railroad station, formed to serve the Hamilton Stone Quarries in 1883. In 1894, Irenus K. Hamilton purchased the land and renamed it Hamilton Post Office. Old foundations can still be found in the treeline along with quite a bit of long out of service trackwork. A little of this track can be seen inside the curve, just above the top fence rail. |
Photo Date: |
10/11/2014 Upload Date: 11/20/2014 10:31:55 PM |
Location: |
Hamilton, WI |
Author: |
Richard Hopfensperger |
Categories: |
Roster,Scenic,Track |
Locomotives: |
CN 2665(C44-9W) CN 2442(C40-8M) |
Views: |
140 Comments: 0 |
|
|
|
Title: |
CN 2665 |
Description: |
Headed railroad "west", the 2665 leads a train downgrade on Byron Hill towards Fond du Lac. The location is known as Hamilton on detailed maps, in the vicinity of the grade crossing with CTY HWY B (Hamilton Road). Originally formed in 1883, the community was named Ketcham Post Office, named after the first president of the Hamilton Stone Quarries. The quarries are located very near and are quite large to this day. In 1894, Irenus K. Hamilton purchased Ketcham Post Office and the name was changed to Hamilton Post Office. This location had the post office and a railroad station. What seems to be the remnants of the original buildings' foundations still exist in the trees along with buried track long out of service. |
Photo Date: |
10/11/2014 Upload Date: 11/20/2014 10:01:11 PM |
Location: |
Hamilton, WI |
Author: |
Richard Hopfensperger |
Categories: |
Roster,Scenic,Track |
Locomotives: |
CN 2665(C44-9W) CN 2442(C40-8M) |
Views: |
151 Comments: 2 |
|
|
|